Feeling validated is a big thing in my life right now. More so now than ever before.
You see, my parenting techniques have been, let's say, a little unconventional (as my mind goes back to a few hours ago when I stood in the pouring rain holding an umbrella over my husband while he bought Chloe in from the car asleep after a desperate drive because the past 2 hours to calm her down was a disaster).
I have been schooled by the Holy Ghost through the trials of Chloe on how to parent with Charity, which brings me back to unconventional nature of my parenting.
Because of Chloe, we have learnt more about the eternal truths hidden in raising children than I ever could have learnt with a 'normal' child. I have brushed aside the comments from the back seat drivers in my life and finally come to terms with those that don't feel comfortable in my unclean house.
I have a diagnoses, which proves that all the craziness that has been my life, all the sleepless nights (and days) the out of control baby, toddler and picky eater with selective hearing who wont stop moving to eat or drink has been because Chloe has S.P.D. And because of that I can say I AM NOT CRAZY, it is NOT my bad parenting skills that has created this out of control toddler, she is wired differently in a way that I can't even fully comprehend.
And in all the craziness, her life is great because I have spent the past 3 years constantly regulating her environment so she hasn't grasped the fullness of just how disabled the world is to her.
It is ME who will benefit the most from her therapy, it is me who will be able to breathe and relax for a minute or two (and maybe have some time to clean my house), it is me that will finally be able to leave Hamilton with Chloe in the car and go some where, anywhere without it being beyond torture for her.
In so many ways our life is going to change, it will take time, it will take money, a lot actually, but our prayers have been answered... We have HELP from professionals who have dedicated their career to helping children like Chloe.
To say that I am exhausted is an understatement. I am enduring well in spite of the lack of support and understanding from others. I finally feel validated, and it feels great.
I did not know you started a blog! I am glad to know, you have some amazing insights! I found an old mission tape the other day and I was listening to it in the car, oh the fun times we had in Nelson! I totally saw agave for sale at Walmart yesterday, I will have to buy some and try your recipe:) I can't wait to hear how things go with Chloe, you are one strong mama!
ReplyDeleteLisa- so touching for me to read all your past blog posts. The faith you are using in listening to the spirit in raising your girls is powerful. The Lord does companion up with us to raise our children. Thank you for sharing all your impressions- you are growing.I love you and I like you too. So glad you are in our life. Keep blogging- your words are honest and inspiring. Love Stephanie
ReplyDelete